Butter Chicken is one of my favourite dishes. So, I decided to develop a healthier recipe so that I could enjoy it more nights of the week. Every now and again I do like to enjoy the real thing. If you live in Sydney, Nilgiris does a fantastic butter chicken that I would recommend.
For my homemade butter chicken I substitute the butter, cream and naan for other, leaner flavours.
For one serving:
- 150g chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup Greek yoghurt (or plain dairy free yoghurt).
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- Handful of slivered Almonds
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 1/2 white onion
- 2 tbsp olive oil (you can try other oils if you like, but I find that olive oil gives the best flavour)
- Couple of sprigs of coriander, chopped finely
- Sprinkle of salt and garlic powder
- 3/4 tbsp of Garam Masala for more authentic flavour
- Vegetable stock or water, to add if the paste becomes too thick
After mixing everything except the chicken thighs and yoghurt together in a bowl, chop the chicken thighs into small pieces and mix them in with the paste you just made. Then fry the bowl contents on medium-high heat, and once the mix is done stir through the Greek yoghurt.
It’s as easy as that!
I usually serve this with some falafels or brown rice for a nutritious source of healthy carbs!