Acai Bowls have been a craze in Sydney for the past year or so, with so many acai-focused places popping up that I now have a mental list of spots for the best bowls in the city (check out Bare Naked Bowls and The Fruitologist).
But, every now and again (usually when the bank balance is looking sheepish) I make a cheap, easy, TASTY, homemade acai bowl for breakfast or lunch.
Most of the ingredients are inexpensive and can be picked up at your local Supermarket, but the problem comes down to sourcing the actual acai powder. For some reason every brand wants to charge exorbitant prices for a tiny bag of acai (probably because the acai berry can only be found in Brazil).
My hack is the Creative Gourmet Organic Acai Puree (only $8!!).
It contains little individual packets of acai puree that you can add to your acai bowl.
For my recipe you will need:
- 1 x Creative Gourmet Organic Acai Puree pack
- 20g Smooth Peanut Butter (Mayver’s is my hands down favourite)
- 50g frozen strawberries
- 50g frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 medium banana
- Dried Chia seeds & Shredded Coconut to garnish
Approximately 340 calories. Time: 10 minutes
- Blend the acai packet, water and frozen berries together until a thick smoothie consistency is formed.
2. Pour blended mixture into a bowl.
3. Chop up the banana and place on top, then weigh out 20g of peanut butter.
4. Sprinkle the chia seeds and shredded coconut on top (tasty added health benefits).