Reading over and editing this post I realised how many times I used the word Spring. I’m sorry but unfortunately Oxford dictionary doesn’t have any good alternatives.
We’re getting to the end of Spring over here in Australia, and although I’m excited about the beachy climate that summer is bringing, it’s sad to see those cool, breezy Spring days fade away.
Because Spring is the season before Summer, it’s the time every gym membership goes on sale, Halloween stashes quickly get thrown out, and green smoothies and salads are glorified.
The idea of munching on a bowl of bitter green leaves drizzled with vinaigrette sounds highly unappetizing to me, but with the right ingredients they can taste great and they ensure you are packing your daily greens in.
So, I created the perfect Spring salad, with protein, healthy fats and a range of different flavours.
You will need:
- 1 medium tomato – reduce risk of heart disease and cancer
- 135g tinned salmon – rich in omega 3 fatty acids and a great source of protein.
- Mixed green lettuce leaves
- Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- Heaped tsp of dried chia seeds – high in omega 3s, fibre, and provide a delicious crunch to the dish.
- 100g chopped canned beetroot
- 50g avocado – source of filling, healthy fats.
Cost: AUD 10 Calories: 380