Cinnabon’s aren’t the definition of ‘health’.
But, I wanted to devise a recipe which was just as yummy, but didn’t use up half my daily caloric intake (the average cinnabon has 880 calories).
When my cinnabon craving first hit, I was scrolling through recipes that take about 3 hours to prepare and bake. That was simply too long and I knew I had to find a cheaters quick version.
So, here’s the cheat sheet to my 45 minute, Plant Based Cinnabons:
- 2.75 cups of all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package instant yeast = 2.25 teaspoons
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp ground chia seeds + 3 tbsp water
- 0.5 cup pureed dates (1/4 cup water)
- 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1 medium apple finely chopped
- coconut oil as a base
Time: 45 minutes, Serves: 8, Calories: 294 each
- Preheat oven to 100C
- Mix flour, sugar, salt and yeast in a bowl
- Heat water, almond milk and coconut oil in the microwave for 30 seconds
- Add chia seeds, milk/oil mixture and flour mixture together and knead with hands until dough forms – set aside for 5 minutes
- Roll out the dough on baking paper into a rectangle
- Spread the coconut oil and pureed dates on the rolled out dough
- Sprinkle the apple and almonds on top
- Roll the dough into a log, and cut into 8 even segments
- Put each segment into greased baking tins.
- Put into the oven, and turn the oven off. Leave in rolls there for 20 minutes. Then, turn the oven to 200C and bake for 20 mins.
- Dust with icing sugar to serve.
Let me know how it goes! xx